[Framers] Including a non-breaking hyphen in a variable

Peter Gold peter at petergold.photography
Thu May 12 20:06:51 PDT 2022

I  think that Lynne Price might be able to correct me, if I’m way off on
this, but IIRC the original creators of FM were more language-oriented
rather than code-oriented. That is, they were working to make it possible
to use the emerging computational technologies to serve language users –
writers, researchers, documentation and information creators and
retrievers. "Typing in dialog boxes" seemed strange to me when I first
encountered it. I figured out that the engineers must have had to deal with
the special conditions that applied to "special" characters typed within in
the dialog box environment that were different from the conditions that
applied to "special" characters entered in document text. The explanation
in the topic title is simply accurate, but it's not useful writers whose
interest is about managing the demands of language, rather than those of
programming.

Like the proverbial vaudeville dog who stood on hind legs, sang
(hideously), and accompanied itself on the piano, the miracle was that FM
could do all the things it could early-on, out-of-the-box c. 1989, at all!

InDesign, for all its savvy and sophisticated text-manipulation ability,
solves the problem this way: "Adding too much text to a variable may cause
overset or compressed text. Variable text does not break across lines."
Hmmm…?!