XML Cross-reference Problem

Karen West klw at cyberscience.com
Thu Dec 1 05:54:27 PST 2005

Hi,

I produce documentation using Framemaker 7.0 and we are now attempting to
get all of our documentation online in a help system, using a tool written
in-house with our own software (a 4GL called Cyberscreen). My part in this
is to save the individual chapters of each book as xml, producing a .xml and
.css for each chapter, plus make sure all the images are saved as gifs etc.
The problem we are having is with cross-references. They usually appear in
the Frame document as 'see heading on page nn' or 'see chapter xxxxx on page
nn'. In the help system we want them to appear as text only hyperlinks to
the relevant section of the help. The Framemaker xml file simply has an <A>
pointing to a location in the document. There are hundreds of these
throughout the manuals, and for most of them there is no "implied" text. For
example:

<A ID="pgfId-1099643"></A>
Manage the help facility using the HM utility. See <A
href="hm.xml#id(31807)" xml:link="simple" show="replace" actuate="user"
CLASS="XRef"><Hypertext>
page 147</Hypertext>
</A>

Does anyone have any suggestions how we can get proper links into the xml
documents?

TIA

Karen
Technical Writer