XML Cross-reference Problem

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Thu Dec 1 07:34:41 PST 2005

Karen,
   I assume you are working with structured FrameMaker documents? As I
understand your question, you want to produce XML that has both the
cross-reference text and the attributes that identify the link for each
cross-reference. FrameMaker does not write the cross-reference text to XML,
because it is a result of formatting and is subject to change as the
document is edited. If your cross-reference formats don't contain
information such as page numbers which are specific to FrameMaker
formatting, you can use XSLT to recreate the cross-reference text. Given
your "page 147" example, though, you do want FrameMaker-specific
information. A custom FDK client can generate the text you want.
         --Lynne

At 05:54 AM 12/1/2005, Karen West wrote:
>I produce documentation using Framemaker 7.0 and we are now attempting to
>get all of our documentation online in a help system, using a tool written
>in-house with our own software (a 4GL called Cyberscreen). My part in this
>is to save the individual chapters of each book as xml, producing a .xml and
>.css for each chapter, plus make sure all the images are saved as gifs etc.
>The problem we are having is with cross-references. They usually appear in
>the Frame document as 'see heading on page nn' or 'see chapter xxxxx on page
>nn'. In the help system we want them to appear as text only hyperlinks to
>the relevant section of the help. The Framemaker xml file simply has an <A>
>pointing to a location in the document. There are hundreds of these
>throughout the manuals, and for most of them there is no "implied" text. For
>example:
>
><A ID="pgfId-1099643"></A>
>Manage the help facility using the HM utility. See <A
>href="hm.xml#id(31807)" xml:link="simple" show="replace" actuate="user"
>CLASS="XRef"><Hypertext>
>page 147</Hypertext>
></A>
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions how we can get proper links into the xml
>documents?
>
>TIA
>
>Karen
>Technical Writer
>Cyberscience Corp UK
>http://www.cyberscience.com

>or visit
>http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/lprice%40txstruct.com
>
>Send administrative questions to lisa at frameusers.com. Visit
>http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284