FM bloat (NO PDF)

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Tue Dec 6 09:43:19 PST 2005

To clear up some misconceptions:

(1) EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) is a file format developed by Adobe,
not by Aldus
or Altsys. It may contain almost any combination of PostScript graphic
objects including
text, vector, and raster.

(2) PostScript Level 2 fully supports JPEG compression. An EPS file can
readily
contain JPEG-compressed images and compliant PostScript Level 2 (and
PostScript 3)
RIPs must fully support decoding of same. This has been part of the
PostScript standard
for nearly 15 years now! Note that EPS from Photoshop can include
JPEG-compressed
raster images in PostScript. Thus, if you have a RIP that cannot handle
JPEG-
compressed images, you really do have a very out-of-spec, defective RIP.
(For what
it is worth, we have no record of any problems with Adobe
PostScript-based RIPs
handling JPEG-compressed images in PostScript Level 2 or PostScript 3!)

(3) With most layout programs, for raster images other than those that
"come in" via
EPS, it is irrelevant whether the initial format is JPEG, GIF,
ZIP-compressed TIFF,
LZW-compressed TIFF, etc. The layout program typically decompresses the
image
and then outputs the resultant raster in a common format either through
directly or
driver-generated PostScript. This is indeed true for FrameMaker!

(4) The primary issue against use of GIF or JPEG formats is that of
lossiness,
either of detail or of color, and of imaging artifacts. For photographic
images at
reasonably high resolution, use of JPEG compression at maximum quality
is
typically not a problem. JPEG compression is a problem when trying to
use
it to present text or vector artwork as a compressed raster.

(5) The TrueType issue has been discussed ad nauseum. There is no good
technical reason to avoid properly created TrueType fonts from reputable
sources.
Within Adobe, we see as many problems from improperly created Type 1
fonts
as we do from improperly created TrueType fonts.

(6) Making blanket assertions about general "unreliability" of JPEG or
TrueType
as formats for raster compression and font technology respectively tends
to hurt
the credibility of those who make such assertions.