Numbering question on short books that are single files

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Fri Dec 16 12:04:01 PST 2005

No slick trick that I'm aware of, Bob.

If you need to change numbering format (roman vs. arabic vs. alpha),
you need to have a file break at that point.

If you're using the $chapnum (and/or $volnum) system variable,
you must have a file break wherever that number needs to increment.

You can get around the second problem by redoing your numbering
scheme to implement chapter numbering with a regular paragraph
numbering counter (as we all had to do in pre-6.0 versions of
FrameMaker).  But there's no workaround I can think of for the first
issue.

In our group, *every* FrameMaker book is built the same way from
a similar set of component files regardless of length.  Our books
range from ~40 pages up to more than 600, but they are all assembled
the same way so that anybody who works with the book will be able
to understand how the numbering is supposed to work when it comes
time to publish.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Staff Information Services Analyst
Intel
Parsippany, NJ