Copying master page layouts and graphics

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Mon Dec 19 07:29:57 PST 2005

You're right, of course, that there is a function that let's one apply
specific master pages based on content, which I did forget about in my
reply to Stacie.  I meant simply that it was not automatic upon the
importation of the page layouts.  Thanks for the extended clarification.

On Saturday, December 17, 2005 07:19 PM, Bodvar Bjorgvinsson wrote:

| On 12/16/05, Lester C. Smalley <lsmalley at infocon.com> wrote:
| > But what is not happening is having the specific "first" page
| > applied to the individual chapters. I don't think this is possible
| > automatically without some sort of scripting tool (e.g. FrameScript
| > under windows or AppleScript on a Mac) but it is very easy.
|
| Well, actually it is. If you had set the rules in the
| reference pages to apply master page "First" (or whatever
| name you may have given it) to e. g. the Chapter Title
| paragraph tag, updating the book has an option to "Apply
| master pages". With that option checked, and the master pages
| and reference pages imported as previously described by
| Lester and Art, the master page "First" will indeed be
| applied to each chapter.
|
| You can also go to each chapter and go to Format > Page Layout
| > Apply Master Pages (I think I have this right, writing this
| from Linux, I don't have FrameMaker open), and it will work
| the same way, but only on the current file. It is all in the
| Reference Page.
|
| Actually, if you haven't yet done this with the first file,
| importing formats including reference pages will do nothing
| for you but copy the master page "First" to the other files
| (along with all other things selected and in place), so you
| should really start by your first chapter (or any otherwise
| ready chapter) and:
|
| Format > Page Layout > Apply Master Pages. This will prompt
| you with a message saying that no reference page exists for
| applying master pages, but one will be made (if you go
| through with this). Do that.
|
| Then go to the reference pages (View > Reference Pages) and
| you will find this as the last reference page. Do the changes
| there according to the "FrameMaker 7.0, The Complete
| Reference" (which is probably the book you are mentioning as
| "Complete Reference") or the User Guide, setting the Master
| Page First to the paragraph format tag that you are using for
| the chapter title. Then, do the Format > Page Layout > Apply
| master pages again, and you will find that the fist page has
| changed.
|
| Then you can select all but the first chapter file in the
| book file and import to these the formats again, but the only
| part that needs to be checked now is Reference pages. This
| should do the trick.
|
| Just check this out. Good luck.
|
| Bodvar Bjorgvinsson
| Iceland
<snip>

- Lester
Lester C. Smalley              Email: lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
Information Consultants, Inc.  Phone: 302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
Yorklyn, DE  19736               Web: www.infocon.com