Copying master page layouts and graphics

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 17 02:40:34 PST 2005

At 3:59 pm -0500 16/12/05, Lester C. Smalley wrote:

>If I read your message correctly, you have copied the updated master
>pages from one file to the rest by selecting the other chapters in the
>book window and then using the File > Import > Formats dialog to copy
>the "Page Layouts" to all the other files.
>
>But what is not happening is having the specific "first" page applied to
>the individual chapters. I don't think this is possible automatically
>without some sort of scripting tool (e.g. FrameScript under windows or
>AppleScript on a Mac) but it is very easy.

Also, it is very likely that your chapter opener pages will have a paragraph or element type that appears only on that page, such as the chapter title. Using the master pages mapping table (on the reference pages), you can tie the first master page to that element or paragraph. Then, when you select 'Format -> Page Layout -> Apply Master Pages', the first master page will be applied automatically.

The mapping table is called 'StructMasterPageMaps'in structured documents. If it does not yet exist, it will be created automatically the first time you use the 'Apply Master Pages' command. As you have the Complete Reference, this feature is described on pages 291-294.
--
Steve