Copying master page layouts and graphics

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Fri Dec 16 12:59:42 PST 2005

Stacie,

If I read your message correctly, you have copied the updated master
pages from one file to the rest by selecting the other chapters in the
book window and then using the File > Import > Formats dialog to copy
the "Page Layouts" to all the other files.

But what is not happening is having the specific "first" page applied to
the individual chapters. I don't think this is possible automatically
without some sort of scripting tool (e.g. FrameScript under windows or
AppleScript on a Mac) but it is very easy.

You'll have to open each chapter individually, and use the Format > Page
Layout > Master Page Usage dialog to set the first page of the file to
use the custom "first" master page design.  This command does not appear
if the book is the active window - you must be in a document file.

On Friday, December 16, 2005 01:35 PM, Stacie Knas wrote:

| I have a structured book with about 10 chapters.  I want the
| first page of each chapter to use master page "first".  I
| have created this master page in the first chapter, as well
| as finessed that chapter's right- and left-hand pages.
| Is there a way besides manually copying to apply these pages
| to all pertinent chapters?
|
| The "Complete Reference" describes how to copy the mapping
| information from master pages, but that doesn't help me.
| I've tried, from the book level, highlighting the pertinent
| chapters (with or without the desired master pages chapter)
| and applying across the book, but even when I brave saying OK
| to the warning message asking me if I'm sure I want to do
| that, it doesn't seem to do anything.
|
| I'm stuck.  There has to be a way to do this.  Any help mucho
| appreciated.
|
| Stacie

I hope this helps.

- Lester