question about commenting in Acrobat 7 Pro

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Wed Nov 23 10:16:01 PST 2005

1) Incorrect. Commenting is not enabled by default.

2) I don't think it has anything to do with PostScript code,
per se, because I don't think there is anything in PostScript
that supports the commenting functionality. I would guess
that it embeds some chunk of Acrobat code that Adobe
Reader 7 knows how to use to provide commenting.

3) It adds whatever chunk of magic is required by Adobe
Reader 7 to support commenting.

4) Same as #3. Commenting is not enabled by default so
it has to be added by the command you mention.

5) See #1. It's not turned on in the first place so there's no
need for a mechanism to turn it off. But if you have a PDF
that has commenting enabled, a simple Save As removes
the commenting magic--or at least that's what I assume
happens because of the warning I see whenever I try to
save a commenting-enabled PDF that someone sends me.

6) If you use a watched folder, you can set both the
joboptions and the security for that folder. Setting up
several watched folders supports different combinations
of joboptions and security settings for different purposes.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ