Merge lists?

Scott Prentice sp at leximation.com
Wed Nov 23 11:18:02 PST 2005

Hi...

I'm just going to throw this out and see what comes of it .. being
relatively new to both of these lists, I don't have the history to know
any better.

In a perfect world, is there really a need for both of these lists
(FrameUsers and Framers)? Are most people actually on both lists (except
for those who have a grudge against one or the other moderator)? If we
all set aside any personal differences and pride, would there be any
problem with just having one list?

It seems like most questions about FrameMaker are sent to both lists,
which is a needless waste of bandwidth, disk space, and personal time to
delete the duplicates. Sure, I can just subscribe to one of the lists
and pretend that the issue doesn't exist, but then .. "what if" I miss
something *important* on the other list?

I don't know about the logistics of merging the two lists .. obviously,
it would have to be some sort of opt-in thing .. don't want to force
anyone to do anything they don't want to do. Perhaps, it would just be a
matter of setting up a new list, telling people about it so they can
sign up or not, then close down the other two lists (we don't want to
end up with three lists). It would be great if the moderators of the
current lists could be co-moderators (remember, this is the "perfect
world").

I know of all sorts of reasons that this is a *good* idea .. I'd like to
hear reasons why it's not. Perhaps there really is a good reason to have
two lists that provide the same service to the same people.

Or .. we can just leave things as they are .. perhaps I'm just nuts.  :)

Cheers!

...scott