Conditional Text and cross-references

Anita Burstein Anita.Burstein at nice.com
Sun Nov 27 23:31:35 PST 2005

Hi list!
I'm using FrameMaker 6.0.

I have a book with many conditions in it. Within the conditional text, there are cross-references. Some of the cross-references are to text marked with the same conditions and therefore shown at the same time. Some of the cross-references are to text that is unconditional, so that the cross-reference text to a heading, etc. might be hidden.

The cross-references are formatted to show the heading text and page number.

Here's my problem: When I show all conditions and update the cross-references, the page numbers are automatically updated, but they lose their condition tag. When I then hide the conditions, the page number still shows, because it became unconditional. (If I manually update the cross-reference, it will pick up the condition again.)

Example:
"For more information, refer to Starting your System on page 23." ("Starting your System on page 23" is the cross-reference)
This entire sentence can be hidden with conditional text. However, when I updated cross-references with all conditions showing, "on page 23" remains unconditional and therefore shows when I hide the conditions.

This seems to happen consistently to the same cross-references, although I cannot seem to find a pattern across my book.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anita Burstein
Technical Documentation, Product Marketing
NICE Systems Ltd., Israel
(T) (09) 775 3794
(F) (09) 775 3353
Anita.Burstein at nice.com <mailto:Anita.Burstein at nice.comwww.nice.com>