Barcode font doesn't show up on PDF

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Apr 6 04:59:47 PDT 2006

Nancy,

You wrote:

>I use a barcode font in a Frame doc and then print the file using
>Acrobat Distiller.
>In the Distiller, I set the option to "Embed all fonts". In the
>generated PDF file,
>the barcode font dissappears leaving a blank area. Any ideas on how I
>can fix this?

Custom PostScript fonts which do not include the standard character set (eg
logo or custom symbols fonts) pose a problem on Win2000/XP -- the
characters display fine on screen in FrameMaker but are missing from the
PS/PDF output (corresponding location is blank). There is not thing wrong
with the font or its embedding permission; the problem is related to the
AdobePS 5.2 (Win2000/XP) driver.

I encountered this problem a few times in the past (and recently with a
font used to display/print various icons). The same fonts worked fine  in
Windows NT and Win98, problems are present only in Win2000 and XP.

Workaround: install a TrueType version of the font.
Ask the font vendor to provide you with a TrueType version (or convert it
to TrueType). Uninstall the PS version and install the TrueType version
instead.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars