Anchored frames position

Robert Stoker info at seatechpubs.com
Fri Apr 7 16:29:21 PDT 2006

I believe our Graphfix plug-in will do what you want, if I read you
correctly. Download the trial version of the plug-in from our website
(www.seatechpubs.com). Choose "Services," choose "Plug-ins," and then,
look for the download link for the Graphfix plug-in. Contact me if you
need a Mac version.

After you install the plug-in, try the following procedure (please
forgive me for improper software documentation techniques, I'm a
gearhead):

1. If you are using structured Frame, place the insertion point at a
valid graphic insertion point in the structure view.  Note: the plug-in
will allow you to insert elements in invalid places. For unstructured
Frame, place your curser where you want the graphic.

2. Perform the following shortcut: esc = i. This shortcut is case
sensitive.

3. If you are using structured Frame,  choose an element tag from the
drop-down box. (The plug-in parses your EDD and determines the valid
graphic elements.) Skip this step if you are using unstructured Frame.

4. Choose "Below Current Line" from the anchoring position drop-down
box.

5. Choose "Center" from the alignment drop-down box.

6. Check the "Floating" box.

7. Click on the "Change" radio button to change the current frame
configuration settings. (Default frame configuration settings can be
changed under the "Graphfix" menu. Changing the default settings in the
plug-in has no effect on the FrameMaker default settings.)

8. Choose the "Custom" radio button, and enter your desired the width
and height. (I would suggest you try other settings to find the best
for you.)

9. Change other configuration settings to your liking.

10. Choose the "Set" button.

11. Choose the insert button, and navigate to the graphic you want to
insert.

12. Choose the graphic. The plug-in should place the graphic is where
you want it.

You may need to play around with the settings a little. I'm not sure
how your template is set up. Once you have set your defaults, the
plug-in remembers the next time you insert a graphic.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Robert Stoker
Seatech Publications, Inc.
Content Development,
FrameMaker Plug-ins, and
Product Information Management Systems
www.seatechpubs.com

-----Original Message Follows-----
Anchored frames position
Gillian Flato  gflato at nanometrics.com
  Fri Apr 7 16:39:08 MDT 2006

I have white space on the left side of book. When I import a graphic, I
want the anchored frame to be centered below the line, but centered
within the margins of the text, not to the page size.

For example, if I have 2 inches of white space on the left side, 4
inches of text, and a 2 inch graphic, I want the anchored Frame to span
from 3 inches in to 5 inches.

How do I do this? I don't want to have to set this for each frame. I
want the Below Current Line feature to look at the paragraph tag, see
what the margins are and center it according to that.

I tried applying a paragraph style to it but it didn't work.

Thanks,

Gillian Flato

Technical Writer (Software)

NANOmetrics, Inc.