Trouble with Translated Text Insets

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Wed Apr 19 07:18:12 PDT 2006

At 6:08 AM -0700 4/19/06, Jan Tharp wrote:
>   Hello Framers,
>   I am knee-deep in a large FrameMaker 7.1 glossary, with nearly
>1,000 text insets for the definitions. I believe the original
>concept was to use them as a single-source for software screen
>documentation. Life was a lovely until we translated the text insets
>into another language, requiring me to send the files away and
>having them opened on another computer. When the files came back
>from the translator, the text insets (by Reference) seem to
>manufacture their own link path, and thus are "unresolved." This
>effectively breaks the link to the text inset.
>   I tried saving the file as a MIF and editing the text inset path
>with a search/replace, but the file is just too big and locks up
>Notepad.
>   Does anyone have any suggestions for either a) getting the text
>inset path to not change or b) globally update the path?
>   I greatly appreciate your help.

Hi, Jan:

You can open a MIF file in Word, edit, save as text.

AND, you can open a MIF file as text in FM by pressing and holding
Shift (or maybe it's Ctrl) while clicking Open (or double-clicking)
the .mif file in the Open File dialog box. Choose Each Line is a
Paragraph. Use find/replace to do your work. Save the file As TEXT to
a new name, with .mif extension.

This Shift/Ctrl technique interrupts FM's automatic conversion of the
MIF file into a screen-ready FM file.

HTH