Custom PDF page sizes in XP

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Apr 20 02:36:39 PDT 2006

techwordsmith at gmail.com writes:

>This is OT because am asking about creating PDFs using Acrobat 7 Pro from MS
>Word 2002 in Windows XP, but this is the best place I can think to ask after
>getting no response from the U2U forums.
>
>I ahve an 8x6 page size in Word and it's a pain to create an 8x6 PDF from
>that. Does anyone have the definitive steps needed?
>
>I got it done, but I changed all of the following. What a pain. Am looking
>to see if anyone knows the true path.
>
>1) Create a joboption for the 8x6 size. By itself, this step doesn't work.
>2) Edit Adobe PDF printer properties General > Printing Prefs > Layout >
>Advanced AND Advanced > Printing Defaults > Layout > Advanced  to use the
>8x6 size. This requires the step 4.
>3) Set the Device settings to use the 8x6 size. This requires step 4.
>4) In select Adobe PDF printer, then File > Server Properties to add an 8x6
>form, but this is hit or miss and usually doesn't take. So I go round with
>2-4.
>
>Eventually, it worked. Not sure how.

A PDF created through PDFMaker (Adobe PDF > Convert to Adobe PDF, or the
corresponding icon in the PDFMaker 7.0 toolbar) should reflect the Word
page size without any additional steps.

If you print to a .ps file and distill, then the page size used/defined (as
you described, through printer properties, File > Server Properties) is
essential.

The "default page size" setting in Distiller's job options does not have
any effect when the files being distilled are created from applications
which specify page size (including all word processors and DTP tools); it
is used when distilling EPS files or hand-coded PS files.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
Training, consulting & add-ons: FrameMaker, Structured FM and Acrobat