Index Formatting Question

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Tue Apr 25 14:01:28 PDT 2006

Hi, Tammy:

At 2:42 PM -0600 4/25/06, Tammy.VanBoening at jeppesen.com wrote:
>I have a three-column index with three entry levels. (I cannot use only
>two levels - I have gone over this with an indexing guru - sigh!) Anyway,
>The first level is not indented, the second level is only slightly
>indented beneath the first and the third level is slightly indented
>beneath the second - pretty standard stuff. Based on the indentations,
>however, sometimes, a page number for the second level and third levels
>breaks across a line:
>
>Level 1   1-1
>          Level 2    2-
>          1
>                 Level 3   3-
>                 1
>

>Ok, my editor does not like this and I really don't either, but short of
>manually adjusting this everytime I generate an Index, is there a
>plug-in/what else can I do to make this happen automatically (something
>like TOCBreaker is ringing a bell, but. . .) and unfortunately, the option
>to change the template is not one - it's an in-house/approved template and
>I just can't go willy-nilly changing it.

There's no way to fix this without changing the template. Dr. Phil
says, "If you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll keep getting
what you've been getting."

Some ways to change the template include:

* Change the Level*IX paragraph prototypes on the index reference
page to use a non-breaking hyphen between the chapter-page number
building blocks. This will keep the page number from breaking at the
column edge.

* Change the spaces before and after "1" at the beginning of the
LevelsIX prototype to a non-breaking space. This keeps the number
with the last word of each entry. Experiment to see if multiple-word
entries, or multiple page references work well with this. You might
want to make only one of these spaces as non-breaking, depending on
what's in your index.

* Change the word-spacing settings for the Level*IX paragraphs in the
Advanced properties of the paragraph designer to allow more squishing
between words. Consider allowing more squishing even between letters.

HTH