Visio (2003) drawings into FrameMaker (7.2, unstructured)?

Guy K. Haas guy at cliveden.com
Thu Apr 27 08:31:47 PDT 2006

My developers give me design files in Word containing embedded Visio
objects to show UML and the like.  While there are not very many, I
WOULD like to use as delayed a binding as possible, to facilitate the
updating of such drawings from (ever?)-changing engineering docs.

I do not believe one can embed such objects themselves in a FrameMaker
document.

I CAN, of course, open the object, save it as a .vsd file, then open the
.vsd file IN Visio and save it in some other graphic form (meaning that
I'd have to do it over again whenever the engineers rejigger).

But Visio 2003 does not offer .eps among its save-as options.  The most
desirable of the offerings (for line drawings) seem to be .gif, .png,
and .svg[z].  My guess would be .svg because it's vector.

Any guidance on
1. whether FrameMaker can embed Visio objects
2. if not, then what's the best format for embedding the graphic file.

--TIA,
    Guy K. Haas
    Software Exegete in Silicon Valley