Defaults on importing graphics

Robert Stoker info at seatechpubs.com
Fri Apr 28 08:48:54 PDT 2006

Kevin,

Our Graphfix plug-in may be able to help you with some of your issues.
Download the trial version from our website (www.seatechpubs.com).
Choose "Services" and then "Plug-ins."

To solve your anchored-frame-size issue and partially solve your dpi
issue, try the following:

1. Load the plug-in and choose Graphfix>Settings>Frame Configuration
from the FrameMaker menu bar.
2. Enter your custom anchored frame size in the "Anchored Frame Size"
box.
3. Choose the "Manual" radio button in the "Graphic Scaling" box.
4. Choose other settings to suit your needs, and then click on the
"Set" button.
5. Insert an anchored frame with the plug-in (shortcut: esc = i).
6. Navigate to the image you want to insert and double click on the
file.
7. For bitmap images, the "Imported Graphics Scaling" box will appear.
Enter your desired dpi in the "Custom dpi" box, and click on the "Set"
button. The next time you insert an image with the plug-in, the value
you entered in the "Custom dpi" box will show up. The "Custom" radio
button will not be selected by default, but the value will remain. This
will possibly save you a few key strokes.

The plug-in may or may not be able to help you solve your
anchored-frame-positioning issue. If you are running the image into the
paragraph, you can set this as a default in the plug-in, and choose
left alignment. This action will place the anchored frame in the text
flow, with the text running around the frame. You can set the gap to
ensure that no text will appear next to the image. If you don't want to
run the image in the text, you can set up an image style in the
paragraph designer with an alignment value of "Left." This is
out-of-the-box FrameMaker. If you are using Structured Frame, you may
need help with this.

Currently, our plug-in does not have a way to move the image 2 cm from
the left margin of the frame (additional coding would need to be done).
If your images are standard size, you could do this easily enough with
a fixed anchored frame size. Simply make the anchored frame 4 cm wider
than the image, and allow the plug-in to center the image. However, if
your images are not a standard size, this approach may not save you
much time.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Regards,
Robert Stoker