Unavailable font

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 11:18:44 PDT 2006

At 13:57 -0400 28/4/06, Ridder, Fred wrote:

>It occurs to me that if Christine is getting the unavailable fonts message only when she's attempting to create a PDF, the font problem may not be in the text of the document because  if it were she'd be getting the unavailable fonts message when she *opens* the file.  My guess is that the offending font might  be in a graphic rather than anywhere in any of FrameMaker's content or stored formats.

I don't know how many of you have seen the film 'Mousehunt', but I recently indulged in the same sort of desperate and eventually slightly manic chase of 'missing' fonts. My eventual conclusion was that FrameMaker can quirrel font definitions away in all sorts of unexpected and sometimes inaccessible places, such as the definitions of bits of table formats that you've never used, never will, and can't access anyway.

So, once you've search the body pages, the master pages, the reference pages and the para and character tag definitions, and you're still getting 'missing font' messages, just his FrameMaker's amnesia switch.

(If you *really really* want to find out where your 'missing' Times New Roman or whatever is used, save the file to MIF, open it with a good text editor and search for the font definition. You might be surprised where it is.)
--
Steve