tiny marker window (WAS: SOLVED Index Problems)

Joe Malin jmalin at tuvox.com
Fri Aug 4 17:09:46 PDT 2006

This is a decent idea, but it has pitfalls.

I could explain the reasons why, but they are very technical.

You will find, though, that if you're not careful when you modify the
dialog box with ResHacker, you'll lose some of the UI. ResHacker assumes
that the UI is static, so that the dialog box displays only what you see
in the DLL. However, dialog boxes can contain controls that are set up
as the program runs. You could re-size the dialog box or controls in
ResHacker and then find that you've unintentionally hidden another part
of the UI that you didn't see.

I discovered this the hard way, and therefore gave up on ResHacker.

If you just change fonts, you should be OK; just don't change the size
of anything.

I have no idea why FM engineers haven't changed the index marker dialog
or the font size. I think it has to be no more than a 10-minute job.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin at tuvox.com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.