Additional Para Element disturbs numbering in parent element

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 02:49:21 PDT 2006

I have run into a really weird problem.

In one of my EDDs I recently changed a WarnNote element (due to the
fact that I never finished it properly in the first place as I wanted
to see what we would be needing in the future) so that it can include
numbered notes without using a List element. The WarnNotes can be of
different types set as attributes and almost all types can be
numbered.
The WarnNote includes one or more NoteItem only, and here I set the
counter W: to 0.

I have tried to have the NoteItem element to include either (<TEXT> |
Para | List | Emphasise | XRef) or skipping the <TEXT> | part, but the
results are the same.

The numbering works unless I add an extra Para element (after <TEXT>
or Para), in which cases the counter seems to be set to zero again, so
the next NoteItem is numbered as 1. If I use a List instead of a Para
and add more than one Para in the ListItem, It has no effect on the
numbering.

There is no numbering at all built into the Para element, conditional or not.

I have a similar setup in the List element, but with less options in
attributes, and I have no such problems there.

Here is a commented snippet of my present EDD. Can anyone tell me what
I am doning wrong?

>>>WarnNote can be a regular note or warning.
It consists of one or more NoteItem Different frmatting rules are set
depending on whether it apears in a Section or anywhere else (like in
ListItem).<<<
Element (Container): WarnNote
   General rule:	NoteItem+
      Attribute list
      Name: ID 	Unique ID 	Optional
      Name: MessageType 	Choice 	Optional
         Choices:	NOTE, NOTES, WARNING, CAUTION, EXPLANATORY
         Default:	NOTE
      Name: Numbered 	Choice 	Optional
         Choices:	Yes, No
         Default:	No
   Text format rules
      In all contexts.
         Numbering properties
            Autonumber format: W: < =0>
      If context is: Section
         Default font properties
         Angle: Italic
      Else, if context is: * < List
         Angle: Italic
      Else
         Angle: Italic
      If context is: TCell
         Basic properties
            Paragraph spacing
            Space above: 0 pt
            Space below: 0 pt
         Prefix rules
            If context is: [Numbered="No"]
               If context is: [MessageType!="NOTE"]
                 Prefix: <$attribute[MessageType]>:
                   Text range.
                      Font properties
                         Color: Note
                         Weight: Bold
               Else
                  No additional formatting.

>>>NoteItem is the child of a WarnNote. It can take a pure TEXT or a
Para or a List or the Emphasize element. Here we set the numbering
properties.
REMEMBER: Calls for Character Format Tag "Note" which uses color "Note"!!!
Create these formats in each file.
Color "Note" is originally set to C=0% M=100% Y=100% K=10%.<<<

Element (Container): NoteItem
   General rule:	(Para | List | Emphasize | XRef)+
   Attribute list
      Name: ID 	Unique ID 	Optional
   Automatic insertions
   Automatically insert child:	Para
  Format rules for first paragraph in element
      If context is: WarnNote[Numbered="Yes"]
         If context is: WarnNote[MessageType="NOTES"]
            Numbering properties
            Autonumber format: W:NOTE <n+>:
            Character format: Note

>>> COMMENTED OUT:
If context is: {first} < NoteItem {first} < WarnNote
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: W:NOTE <n=1>:
Character format: Note
Else
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: W:NOTE <n+>:
Character format: Note
<<<
***
The following I have not started on changing. This is as it was above
and gave me the same problems.
Else, if context is: WarnNote[MessageType="WARNING"]
If context is: {first}
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: W:WARNING <n=1>:
Character format: Note
Else, if context is: {notfirst}
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: W:WARNING <n+>:
Character format: Note
Else, if context is: WarnNote[MessageType="CAUTION"]
If context is: {first}
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: W:CAUTION <n=1>:
Character format: Note
Else, if context is: {notfirst}
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: W:CAUTION <n+>:
Character format: Note
Else
If context is: {first}
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: W:<n=1>:
Else, if context is: {notfirst}
Numbering properties
Autonumber format: W:<n+>:
END OF PROBLEMATIC NUMBERING
***
Else, if context is: WarnNote[Numbered="No"]
Numbering properties
No autonumber format.
Prefix rules
If context is: WarnNote[Numbered="No"]
Prefix: <$attribute[MessageType: WarnNote]>:
Else
No additional formatting.
In all contexts.
Text range.