OT: Writing/editing style

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 10 11:01:20 PDT 2006

I tend to agree with Art on this. Once a user has used the
UI a few times, steps that are strictly navigational have
nearly no value except to annoy the user and slow them
down in completing the task at hand. I recently attended
a JoAnn Hackos workshop on minimialism, and this is
exactly the kind of thing we were focusing on.

But if you really feel that you have to spell out each and
every mouse click in a procedure step, I'd agree with your
boss that the "if necessary" is unnecessary. Any reasonably
intelligent user will realize that if they're already seeing a
particular window they can ignore the step that tells them
that they need to open that window.

Focus on essential steps (accomplishing the task at hand).
Assume automatic actions (like basic navigation).
Eliminate unnecessary words.