Using the same chapters for several books

Susan Modlin smodlin at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 12:02:56 PDT 2006

One more suggestion: we have a similar situation, with
reused files, running headers that change, plus
variables and conditions that need to be flipped. We
started with what Art calls container files to flip
the variables and conditions so that the borrowed
files knew where they were. Flipping variables and
conditions for dozens of books, however, soon became a
real chore.

The solution we found was BuildFire, a FrameMaker
add-on from Convivio
(http://www.convivio.com/index.php?topic=010_products).
BuildFire allows you to define multiple PDF output
files with different values for variables and
conditional text settings. You create a list of
documents and build them either individually or in
batches. BuildFire flips the variables and condition
settings for each book on the fly and creates the
PDFs. What used to take two people the better part of
the morning (we have 75+ PDFs) can now run on one of
our machines while we're at lunch.

Hope this helps.

...Susan
Susan Modlin