Bookmarks in PDF without numbers

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Sat Aug 19 12:44:38 PDT 2006

Stephen,

You wrote:

 > I create my PDF docs from FM 6 by printing to a PS printer and
 > distill using Acrobat Distiller (on Windows XP).
 > I would like to lighten the bookmarks in my PDF docs by removing the
 > numbering...but keep the numbering in the text as my x-refs say See
 > Section 2.2.2...
 > Any hints as to how to clean the bookmarks? I use FrameScript
 > (beginner) if that can help.

FrameMaker doesn't let you control the bookmark text, which always
includes the text including paragraph numbering (unless the autonumber
string is formatted as white).

The FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on has several functions
improving the usefulness of bookmarks, one of which can suppress paragraph
numbering (which can be further controlled based on the level).
See http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF.html#4 for more information
and examples.

The FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on operates automatically
as part of the distilling (no need for post-creation manual operations).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars