Translate FrameMaker book to Hebrew/Arabic and convert to online help

Daniel Osborn Daniel.Osborn at tomtom.com
Fri Aug 25 02:44:45 PDT 2006

Hi Winfried,

One of your solutions:
>> Mess around with the registry to get FrameMaker to
>> handle right to left languages. Seemed to be only a
>> solution for 2 page documents.

Why is this only a solution for 2 page documents? And by "mess around
with the registry" do you mean set up font substitutions for Hebrew and
Arabic?

Thanks for sharing what you found out,
Daniel

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:07:58 +0200
From: "Reng, Winfried Dr." <wreng at tycoint.com>
Subject: RE: Translate FrameMaker book to Hebrew/Arabic and convert to
	onlinehelp
To: <framers at lists.frameusers.com>

Hi,

Thank you all very much for your suggestions.
Solutions were:

o 2 separate translations:
  - Convert to HTML, get it translated and convert to
    HTML Help.
  - Convert to Word, get it translated and create a PDF.
  Thus the online help will still be context sensitive.
  The second translation will cost money but in the era of
  translation memory systems hopefully not to much.

o Convert to XML, get that translated. Then:
  - Convert the XML to HTML via XSLT.
  - Convert the XML to PDF via LaTeX.

o Convert everything to InDesign. However then I don't
  have an online help.

o Mess around with the registry to get FrameMaker to
  handle right to left languages. Seemed to be only a
  solution for 2 page documents.

No-one suggested a converter from Word to HTML Help.

Best regards

Winfried

This e-mail message contains information which is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended addressee, we request that you notify the sender immediately and delete or destroy this e-mail message and any attachment(s), without copying, saving, forwarding, disclosing or using its contents in any other way. TomTom N.V., TomTom International BV or any other company belonging to the TomTom group of companies will not be liable for damage relating to the communication by e-mail of data, documents or any other information.