Plugin or Script for printing out paragraph format properties

Mike Wickham mewickham at compuserve.com
Wed Aug 30 11:54:09 PDT 2006

> Does anyone know of a plugin or script that will print out paragraph
> format properties from a FrameMaker document? Thanks.

Systec has a Format List plugin that's great for this. Unlike the Silicone
Prairie plugin, which puts the properties for each paragraph format in its
own table-- and then you have to manually sort through them-- the Systec
plugin creates one large table, with separate columns for each property. So
it's very easy to scan down a column and find that odd paragraph format that
still has Times New Roman assigned to it, instead of, say, the Palatino font
you chose for all non-heading text. Or scan down the list and notice a stray
paragraph format that has 9-pt type set, instead of 10-pt, like all the
others.

The only bad thing about Systec is their Web site. It's one of the most
horrible out there. It's full of dead links, extremely hard to navigate,
price lists are buried (if there at all) and you may have to click the EN
link at the top of the page to turn on English, or you'll get German. There
are several versions of their plugins and the site does an equally lousy job
of describing them. You can try this link:

http://www.systec-gmbh.com/en/sites/toolbox.php

Anyway, I'm running FrameMaker 7.1, and show Toolbox version 7.1.2.10. As I
recall, you download the Toolbox 7.x package. When you install it, it
installs a few free utilities, and then there are, I think, four optional
packages you can choose to buy (or not). Package 1 contains Format List and
other plugins, and costs $89. There is also a new 7.6x version that appears
to let you buy the plugins individually, instead of as grouped packages. I
couldn't find prices on the site, however.

Systec makes great plugins, but their Web site violates the Geneva
Convention for torture.

Mike Wickham