Problem opening .chm file

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 07:36:59 PDT 2006

That is odd. I'm not sure you want it to open in IE, though, either.
CHMs are compiled and use a viewer that utilizes the IE engine, but
not IE itself. Try removing all program associations for CHM and then
open it. You should then be prompted for a program to use to open it.
Instead of choosing, click the option for Windows to search for you.
Hopefully it'll have a brain fart and remember what to use.

On 8/29/06, Wyman, Milli B. [VA09] <Milli.Wyman at honeywell.com> wrote:
> I am using WebWorks Publisher Professional 2003 for FrameMaker to create
> a project from an FM (7.0) book. The conversion goes smoothly, but when
> I click on the ..chm file to open it, it opens in Notepad as gibberish.
> I have gone into File/Preferences and ensured that the IE is selected as
> the browser, but it doesn't seem to be working. I have a feeling there a
> simple setting somewhere. What's really galling (or maybe just
> confusing) is that my manager can open it on his machine. We have not
> been able to isolate the difference between his machine and mine. I have
> looked on the WebWorks.com site and found no useful info.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. This is a great list-I've been lurking
> for a couple weeks and I'm learning a lot!
>
> Milli
>

> Milli Wyman
>
> Senior Technical Writer
>
> Honeywell Access Systems * Reston, VA