Unlocking "Pgf Locked"

Thu Dec 14 09:48:06 PST 2006

Fred Staal wrote:

> Every now and then I get stuck with one of those
> auto-generated paragraphs that appears after a text inset
> that refuses to cooperate with being retagged for the
> subsequent paragraph and can't even be deleted.  As a last
> resort, I recently converted a file with this problem to a
> .mif and in Notepad found the offending paragraph, which
> included the following notation: "Pgf Locked." When I deleted
> this line, and then opened the file in FM, the paragraph tag
> could be deleted.
> Is there a keyboard shortcut in Framemaker for unlocking a
> paragraph with this problem? (FM6, XP, etc.)

I don't understand what you did in the MIF and have never heard of
locking/unlocking pgfs, but I have some insight regarding how text
insets work that may help. There's no such thing as an "auto-generated
paragraph that appears after a text inset." There can, however, be an
undesired pgf format change.

Do you work with View > Text Symbols turned on? You should. You can't
tell what's going on with text insets (among other things) if you don't
see the pilcrows (end-of-pgf symbols) at the end of each pgf.

A text inset always "sits in" a container paragraph in the destination
document. The container pgf is the place that your text cursor was when
you executed the File > Import > File command to import the text inset.
If you're like most people, this was at the end of a pgf, and often it's
an otherwise empty pgf.

If you have text symbols showing, how this works becomes obvious when
you click your text inset to select it. You'll see that the literal
"black box" of the selected text inset ends just to left of the pilcrow
(if the text inset is in an empty pgf).

The problem with this stems from a weird FM bug: If the text inset is
the only thing in the container pgf, or if it comes at the end of the
container pgf, the container pgf assumes the formatting of the first pgf
in the text inset. This can cause some serious grief if, for instance,
that first pgf is a 24-point heading.

There's an easy solution: Don't let your text insets sit at the end of a
paragraph (adjacent to the pilcrow). Make sure there is something --
anything -- to the right of the cursor before you import the text inset.
I use non-breaking spaces so that I can see the symbol (I always work
with text symbols displayed).

For existing text insets, just insert something -- anything -- between
the end of the text inset and the end of the container pgf. Then you can
change the container pgf's format, and the change will stick.

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs