Adobe Reader 8 and FM 7.2 on Windows?

Lin Surasky Lin.Surasky at retalix.com
Mon Dec 18 09:51:37 PST 2006

Hi all-

I'm having some Windows-related issues I'm hoping someone can shed some
light on...
I currently have Adobe Reader 8 and FrameMaker 7.2 installed with
Windows XP Pro 2002/SP-2.

I DO NOT have any version of Adobe Acrobat installed -- I uninstalled it
and we are supposed to be using it via a remote connection to our
server. (This isn't set up yet, so I don't know how well that's going to
work...)

The problem is that even though I have Windows set up to associate PDF
file suffixes with Reader 8, I can't open a PDF without an error
message. When I double-click a PDF to open it, and FrameMaker is not
open, I get a message that Windows can't find the specified file blah
blah blah. However, the file DOES open in Reader. But I still have that
annoying error message to click away. AND if FrameMaker also happens to
be open, the error message I get is that the file is not a format that
FrameMaker can read, and blah blah blah -- the file doesn't open at all.
Mind you, I'm not trying to use FM to open the PDFs. Frame is open
because, well, that's the software I use the most frequently. So it's
open, but minimized when I'm doing this, and shouldn't be part of the
equation at all. Shouldn't.... But it is. Why??

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Reader with no luck. I
checked the Windows File Types settings, and all is as it should be. The
PDF files even have the new slick PDF icon next to them. Anyone else
have this problem, or any suggestions as to what to try next?

Thanks muchly
-Lin

Lin Surasky
Technical Writer