Can't open XML documents

Inbar, Paul paul.inbar at intel.com
Wed Dec 20 22:17:20 PST 2006

Hi Brad,

Switch you interface mode to Structured Framemaker:

File > Preferences > General > Product Interface. You will have to restart Framemaker after this.

Now, if you have FrontPage, there is a preparatory step I would do: Open your html document in FrontPage, click in the code view, put the cursor on the page, right-click, and choose Apply XML Formatting Rules. This will make sure that the HTML is well formatted XML. Save the document.

Open the document in Framemaker. You will get the Unknown File Type dialog. Scroll down until you get to XML. You didn't see that before because you were probably in Unstructured Mode. Select XML, and then click Convert.

You will get an alert: "The file has no XML declaration. Continue to import tagged data?" Click OK.

A Framemaker log will appear, and over it another alert: "Validation of XML file failed. Continue?" Click OK. Your converted document should appear. You can dismiss the log window.

Now, you get a document that has some formatting looks reasonable, even though it's all a variation of Body. I started to write this solution to you yesterday, together with the news that tables at least seemed to remain tables, but then I noticed that in the sample document that I tried this on, not all the data in the tables got transferred. I didn' t have time to investigate why. So I am not sure what I have described above is your answer.

Another, stronger option, one which would take more time and learning but which would yield far better results and is also not an ad hoc way to do things, is to actually prepare a structured application in Framemaker for this purpose, make sure your HTML documents adhear to XML standards, and then import that way. In this manner you could get exactly what you want, with no reformatting necessary.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Paul