Index entries: See and See Also

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Wed Dec 27 12:35:03 PST 2006

Kaye,

You wrote:

>My See and See Also index entries are live links in both PDF and HTML
>output. I want them to be plain text.
>
>I am using the <$nopage> building block but that just removes the page
>number, not the hyperlink.
>
>How do you generate a text-only See Also index marker?
>
>I'm using FrameMaker 6.0p405, Acrobat Professional 7.0.8, and WebWorks
>Publisher Professional 7.0.5.1025 on Windows XP.

Hypertext activity can be suppressed for the entire index (not
recommended), but not for specific markers. <$nopage> indeed creates a
link, even though the page number is not present.

It it possible to develop a "workaround" where the addition of a character
format to the See/See Also index markers will serve to limit the link
active area (making it very small).

But I recommend using different approach. See
http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/IndexRef/indexref.htm for information
about a plug-in that helps fix the links created by See/See Also
references, so that they point to the appropriate terms within the index
(through cross-references) rather than to the source markers.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Structured FM seminars