Working with Structure [wasP 30% off for the Tree Help plugin]

Bernard Aschwanden bernard at publishingsmarter.com
Fri Dec 29 06:49:24 PST 2006

Hi Oleg,

I haven't used Tree Help. How does it compare with the StructureTools utility that West Street Consulting has? If you haven't used both you may want to try the West Street tool as well. It's free for 30 days and only $20 to buy. The two URL's of interest may be:

http://www.weststreetconsulting.com
and
http://www.weststreetconsulting.com/WSC_StructureTools.htm

Technically, the StructureTools utility will run forever, even if you don't buy it. A dialog pops up every now and then to tell you that you may want to pay your $20 (a tiny sum when you consider the frustration it saves) to the developers.

Looking at the Tree Help plug-in site shows me that it allows you to (1) Collapse All, (2) Expand All, and (3) Expand to the Insertion Point. StructureTools allows all three of these features. It also provides the same expand/collapse for attributes as well as a restricted 'expand all' type of feature in the Structure View.

StructureTools provides the ability to expand all/collapse all for only the descendents of a specific element (for example, all descendents of a Section--but nothing else--get expanded/collapsed). I also love the ability to expand only one, two or three 'sublevels' of a given element. I use that a lot to expand tables to show all rows, but not all cells etc...

I've recommended this (and some other software from West Street Consulting) for a while to clients and they are very happy with what they get. However, if there are additional features in the plug-in you mention below, then I'd love to know about them. At present I only see the specific three features listed on the website.

It would be great if Adobe was to incorporate this type of support right into the software. So far, no luck. However, I'm hoping that this changes in a future release of the product :)

If you (or anyone on the list) want some screen shots of the tool, let me know. I didn't see any on the West Street site, but I may be looking in all the wrong places.

All the best and happy New Year.

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden
Director of Technology and Publishing Architecture
Bright Path Solutions

bernard at travelthepath.com

www.travelthepath.com