Structure/Schema - Custom or off the shelf?

Mike Feimster mike.feimster at acstechnologies.com
Wed Feb 1 05:40:52 PST 2006

The "Real Life" Migration to Stuctured Doc thread got me thinking. What is
better? A custom schema or one the "standards" such as Docbook or DITA.

I've often thought that if one knows how to create a schema (and the
resulting EDD, DTD, XSD, etc.) you're better off creating your own,
especially since Docbook and, to a lesser extent, DITA would need to be
customized to realize the true potential of XML.

I'm curious as to what others think about this.

---
Mike Feimster
       IDD Technical Analyst

ACS Technologies