Structure/Schema - Custom or off the shelf?

Michael Müller-Hillebrand info at cap-studio.de
Wed Feb 1 07:48:42 PST 2006

I agree with Rick's points. But there are situations where it might not
be worth the effort digging deep in the available material for a
so-called standard, when -- in the end -- the customized solution still
needs non-standard modifications.

As an example: DocBook comes with many more elements than you will
likely use and the available XSL transformations deal with almost all of
them. During all your initial setup work and all maintenance steps you
will somehow have to deal with a lot of stuff you never use.

I learned that the maintenance effort is somehow proportional to the
number of elements and attributes in a DTD. So from my point of view it
is a good idea to start with a DTD/Schema as simple as possible. If you
add elements or attributes during your testing phase you do not
invalidate existing documents.

A good example of such a minimalistic approach is the DocFrame
environment created by Scriptorium Publ. IMO it is a perfect head-start
for FrameMaker users.

http://scriptorium.com/docframe/

If you need/want to be compatible with some other structure later on,
you can create an XSL stylesheet to take care of that compatibility.

- Michael