Syntax for relative path links from pdf to html topics in a chm

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Sun Feb 5 01:14:36 PST 2006

Joe,

You wrote:

>... With a TimeSavers shortcut, we want to link from PDF to HTML topics in
>a chm. We concluded that Acrobat Reader v5.05 supported relative
>paths, but that as of Acrobat Reader v6, absolute paths are required,
>or the links fail.
>
>I've finally gotten a contact at Adobe who writes that he believes the
>relative paths are still supported, but that the syntax in Frame has
>changed.
>
>Does anyone know if this is true, and if yes, what is the required
>syntax when you want to use a relative path for these links?

The links to specific topics in CHM or WinHelp files rely on Acrobat
capabilities. Even though inserted in FrameMaker through custom hypertext
markers, FrameMaker is not aware of the action being defined (it is
processed as part of distilling, when distilled with Distiller +
TimeSavers). The FrameMaker version being used, therefore, does not affect
the process.

I don't know of a change in the syntax/capabilities of FM hypertext markers
since FM5.x [~Acrobat 3].

When researching this problem, I saw similar reports/questions by Acrobat
users who upgraded to 6.0 and are not FrameMaker users. I was not able to
find anything official from Adobe documenting this.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars