Importing a very large DocBook XML file kills FM 7.2

John Pitt john at pitt.net.au
Mon Feb 6 00:48:01 PST 2006

FM 7.2, P4 with dual AMD 2MHz cpu's and 2 Gb quick DRAM, 110 Gb free HDD
space. All processing done locally (i.e., off the network).

I'm still hacking away at my DocBook project and learning structured
Frame. Until now I've been developing my FM and WebWorks templates using
a subset of the data available, which produces a book of about 1250
pages (one chapter of >1000pp and 4 smaller ones which mostly consist of
xref "lists" that are pointing to the main chapter). The previous xml
files were about 2 Mb; the latest file is 24Mb.

Both of my attempts to open/convert the big bugger have failed. After
about 90 min, Task Manager's Performance window shows a rapid rise in
MEM Usage from about 700Mb to 2.15 Gb, and Frame displays one of its
"Hmmm. Dunno what's happening, but send us the error file and we'll look
at it (but we won't let you know the outcome)" messages. Killing that
message kills Frame.

Q1 Is the file too big for Frame? I can remember opening bigger files on
UNIX FM 5.1.

Q2 Will I gain anything by grovelling for another Gb or two of DRAM?

Q3 Is there anything I can do? We would prefer not to cut up the xml
file as we want all chapters to talk to each other without spending long
periods resolving broken xrefs.

jjj

John Pitt, technical writer
47 Gottenham St