Changing the default Paste option in Framemaker

Bernard Aschwanden bernard at publishingsmarter.com
Tue Feb 7 07:16:51 PST 2006

Comments inline.

I often think it would be more useful for me to have the default paste option be TEXT, and I understand that I can set this by putting TEXT as the first item in the ClipboardFormatsPriorities list in the maker.ini file.

B: Generally I think that this is a great idea.

I notice that upon installation, the first item in this list is FILE, followed by OLE 2, etc. TEXT is the last item in the list. My question is, is there a good reason for the default order that Framemaker installs with?

B: I've been using the TEXT, BLAH, BLAH method with every installation and I recommend it to clients. If you need anything else then choose Edit > Paste Special and you can select the other options anyway. Generally the only place I see any impact is copying from other apps to FrameMaker and just pressing Ctrl+v. If I'm doing any copy/paste between FM files it works as expected every time.

If I move TEXT to the beginning of the list, will I end up causing myself trouble or inconvenience later on with something that until now I have taken for granted?

B: Worst case, reset your INI file.

Hope that helps,

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden