Text in a text frame

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Sat Feb 25 05:55:54 PST 2006

There is no vertical alignment property in text frames (unlike InDesign and
Quark XPress). One way around this is to have a series of paragraph formats
that use Frame Above Paragraph settings that serve to push the text to the
bottom of the text frame.

Here is an example: let's say your text frames always have a maximum of
three lines. You would always make the text frames the same height, which is
tall enough to hold three lines. You would have three separate paragraph
formats: 1_line, 2_line, and 3_line. 3_line would be applied to paragraphs
that take all three lines in the text frame. These paragraphs would have no
Frame Above. 2_line would be applied to paragraphs that take up two lines in
the text frame. It's FrameAbove would be a 1-line high reference frame that
would force the 2 lines to the bottom of the text frame. 1_line would be for
single line paragraphs, and it would contain a 2-line high reference frame
for its FrameAbove setting.

If you find this too cumbersome, you could use FrameScript to devise a more
automated solution. Or, even if you use the multiple-paragraph format
solution that I have outlined, you could have a script automatically apply
the correct format based on the number of lines.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com