Figure titles in structured FrameMaker

Bernard Aschwanden bernard at publishingsmarter.com
Thu Jan 5 06:50:38 PST 2006

I think the big issue is to know what the structure of this is. For example, do you have something like:

<Fig>
<FigTitle>Widget Illustration</FigTitle>
<FigImage attributes="many" />
</Fig>

In which case you can format the FigTitle as you see fit. However, the FigImage may appear weird (at first) if you then Esc m p the thing (hope that makes sense). I take the EDD and change FigTitle to have a suffix of \r to force a line break after the caption...

If you simply have this:

<Fig>
<FigImage attributes="many" />
</Fig>

The it gets a bit more tricky. Can't come up with a functional solution right away, but I'm sure it's out there. Can you email more info with the 'rules' you associate with the figure that you are working with?

Having the text frame inside the anchored frame is a real headache (my opinion) and I strongly suggest busting them out. If you have a lot of them, you could do so by using a FrameScript (right Rick?). You can use the keep with next/prev features to ensure the caption and image stay together. Finally, a single cell table with a title above/below would also do the trick and give you cleaner XML.

Feel free to email me a sample file (off list) and I can review it quickly.

All the best,

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden
Publishing Technologies Expert