Converting to Character Formats

Robert Kern bob at technicalpublishing.com
Fri Jan 6 06:11:39 PST 2006

Marcus,

We get hard coded stuff coming over from Word all the time. The most
efficient way we've found to find and tag all of it with the appropriate
character tag is to use the file/utilities/create and apply formats.
This will create a format for any untagged and hard coded formatting, ie
charfmt1, charfmt2, charfmt3, etc...  You then just isolate what
characteristic each new tag represents, then rename the tag to the
appropriate character format in your template, then reimport your
template, then delete the charfmt tags from your catalog.  This also
works well for paragraph formats.

If someone has a quicker way to do this, I'd love to learn :)

-bob

Robert Kern
President, TIPS Technical Publishing, Inc.
108 E. Main Street, Suite 4
Carrboro, NC  27510
www.technicalpublishing.com
bob at technicalpublishing.com
919-933-2629 phone and fax

Marcus Carr wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to convert text formatted as bold into text formatted by
> a character format.
>
> I don't think this should be hard, but it seems that there are likely
> to be a number of ways of skinning this cat, and I'm interested in the
> pros and cons. Any good plug ins or API clients available? Thanks in
> advance,

believed to be clean.