Changing fonts

Korth, Deanna deanna.korth at dmpinc.com
Wed Jan 11 11:11:14 PST 2006

My company's FrameMaker document templates use Garamond for many of our
paragraph formats. In older .pdf files the font is ITC Garamond and the
documents look nice, but in new documents the font is True Type Garamond
and the text, especially italics, is difficult to read. After much
research I've discovered that the ITC Garamond font in the older .pdf
files was from the Type On Call promotional CD, and the unlocking key
for the CD was lost when former employees moved on.

I'd like to switch back to ITC Garamond, and my company is willing to
purchase the font family. But before we spend the $195, we want to
understand the real-world implications of installing ITC Garamond.

If I remove the True Type Garamond fonts from the Fonts folder in
Windows and install ITC Garamond, will FrameMaker automatically use ITC
Garamond?

Will Windows cause us problems going forward by putting the True Type
Garamond font back without our knowledge?

Is there anything else I need to consider?

Is there a Fonts for Dummies book/hyperlink you can suggest that will
help me grasp this?

I'm using unstructured FrameMaker 7.2 and Windows XP Professional.

By the way, I know that I could just switch fonts, but am trying to
avoid the work of manually changing the paragraph formats.

Thanks,

Deanna Korth

"MMS <fnni.com>" made the following annotations.
Confidentiality Notice

This email transmission (and/or the documents accompanying it) may contain information belonging to the sender which is confidential, privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email transmission in error, please immediately notify us by return email or telephone (402-431-8810) to arrange for return of its contents including any documents.

dmpincemaildisclosure20030812