Conditional Text in structured documents?

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 02:29:01 PST 2006

At 4:32 pm +0100 12/1/06, Jakob Fix wrote:

>I want authors to be able to add comments that will not show up in the
>final printed document, but which can be exploited elsewhere, say, in
>the online version. Conditional Text seems to be created for this
>exact purpose. ...
>Testing this out, I could indeed hide the text inside the element, but
>not the element itself, i.e. if the comment occupied one line, hiding
>it now showed one empty line, whereas I'd like to not even see that
>empty space.

The first time I read this, I didn't notice the word 'element', and assumed that Jakob's problem was merely because he was applying the conditional tag to the comment text but not to the comment paragraph's trailing paragraph marker - which would have the effect he describes.

Is this true, that an element cannot be made conditional? It's inelegant, and I've not tried it, but how about making the comment element an inline? But if your comments are not true comments, but in fact conditional blocks of text that you want to use in some single-source set-up for print vs. on-line, it sounds as if you might need a more comprehensive solution, such as Mif2Go (if it works with structure - not sure), or, as suggested, Sourcerer.
--
Steve