Conditional Text in structured documents?

Lynne A. Price lprice at txstruct.com
Sun Jan 15 17:32:33 PST 2006

Jakob,
   It does sound as though the problem in your first attempt resulted from
not applying the condition tag to the end-of-paragraph character. I don't
know how you are selecting the Comment element. If you select the element
by clicking on its bubble in the Structure View, or by searching for it,
the selection will include the delimiter character and you should have no
problem. However, if you are viewing element boundaries, it is possible in
the document window to drag over one element boundary, through the element
contents and over the other boundary without selecting the
end-of-paragraph. You can then apply a condition tag to the selected
content and create the situation you reported.
   I'm not sure what you meant about how to hide and then show all Comment
paragraphs. Once the condition tag is applied to all Comment elements, you
set conditional text show/hide settings to do just that.
   By the way, rather than assigning the condition tag to the Comment
elements as you create them, you can do it afterwards. Assign the condition
tag to one Comment element. Then select that element and use Copy Special
to copy the condition tag to the clipboard.  You can then do a global
change, searching for Comment elements and changing by pasting to apply the
condition tag to all Comment elements.
         --Lynne

At 07:25 AM 1/13/2006, Jakob Fix wrote:
>Roger,
>
>On 12/01/06, Roger Shuttleworth <rshuttleworth at activplant.com> wrote:
> > Hello Jakob
> >
> > Have you tried applying the condition to the Comment element itself,
> > rather than to the text in it? You would do this by selecting the
> > element in the Structure View. We do this all the time for some
> > elements, and they do not result in an empty line.
>
>Of course, I tried.  And I got the mentioned empty line. Because of
>this, we had to design a special paragraph format (height: 0pt,
>font-color: white, etc).  I know ...
>
>Anyway, I just tried it again, just to be able to tell you that I've
>got the same result, and this time it actually worked!  I don't know
>what I did different this time.  However, I'm not sure how I can
>actually hide all Comment paragraphs at once and show them again.

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in structured FrameMaker consulting, application development,
and training
lprice at txstruct.com            http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505      cell phone: (510) 421-2284