POLL: Which method do you use to apply bold and italics?

Joe Malin jmalin at tuvox.com
Tue Jan 17 09:58:59 PST 2006

I favor the idea that quality starts with designing the process to avoid
mistakes.

If we agree that formatting standards for documents produce quality
documents, then logically we should set up our tools so that those
standards are the only possible way to format. I haven't yet seen an
instance where ad hoc formatting was absolutely necessary, but then
again, I'm a relative newcomer. Someone should suggest an instance in
which they had to override a character or paragraph tag.

This, by the way, is why I am such a fan of structured FM.

Note that I often *change* the definition of a character or paragraph
format. Alas, I'm starting a department from scratch, so I have to
design as I go. As much as I can, I change the template as soon as I'm
sure my override is what I want. Quality also involves feedback.

	 Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin at tuvox.com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.