Rebranding/OEM'ing Frame files

Bernard Aschwanden bernard at publishingsmarter.com
Wed Jan 18 04:37:51 PST 2006

A few quick comments related to the two most specific points you make.

* For company name (and product names, if it becomes necessary), we'll create a user variable.

Try to avoid the entire "a" versus "an" issue by planning the writing. That means if you write for the Apple market and for the PC market you should avoid this:

"If installing on a PC [an Apple] you should blah blah blah..."

Instead, go with this:

"If installing on the PC [Apple] you should blah blah blah..."

By using a 'the' lead to your topic the issue of phrases starting with a vowel disappear. You may have to get a bit creative for it, but generally that should help a lot.

* For the corporate logo that appears on our cover page and in our running footers, we'll give our file a generic name like "corp_logo.gif" and instruct the OEM partners to replace this file with their own similarly sized corporate logo.

My preference is to reference a file named "corp_logo" with no extension. Frame can handle it and then the client can use a variety of file types (tiff, jpg, eps...) and still see the image. However, if the logo is in a frame (anchored or not), be careful that the size of the image is correctly set by the OEM user as that becomes the real issue on import. Alternatively, include instructions on how to size it.

Hope that helps,

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden
Publishing Technologies Expert