Another Stupid Framemaker Question

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 14:31:22 PST 2006

I keep a small set of master chapter templates (front matter, regular
chapters)  in a subdirectory of the FM templates.

When I change formatting, I try to do it in the appropriate file and
then either Import Formats or use the Clean Import plug-in to ripple
the changes through the book's files.
Yes, you can do it backwards, by modifying stuff in a working file and
then making
the changes ripple to the other files, but the template strategy gives
you a backup in case your changes suddenly all go south. Also, the
Clean Import plug in automagically removes mutant/non-standard tags;
the regular Import Formats preserves them.

No, dynamic updates aren't supported.

The header format change would be applied the same way a para or
character format change would be; you'd probably use Import Formats
and specify Variables or Page Layouts, depending on exactly what you
changed and how you did it.

Art

On 1/19/06, John Huntington <jhuntington at runbox.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Now I'm starting to see global formatting things I want to do, but I'm a
> bit confused.   For example, I'd ideally like to have the exact same
> Paragraph Formats across every document in the book.   The only way I've
> figured out how to do this so far is to create the formats as I want
> them in one document, and then with the Book window selected, and all
> the chapter files highlighted, import those formats to all other
> documents.  Is there an easier way to do this?
>
> Is there some way I could have one set of dynamic paragraph and
> character formats shared by the entire book?  That way, if on Chapter 23
> I decide I need a new character format I could go back into Chapter 2
> and use it without importing, etc.
>
> Also, I'd like to change a Header format in one place and have it
> "update all" across the whole book, but that doesn't seem to work either :-(

                             No disclaimers apply.
                                     DoD 358