Another Stupid Framemaker Question

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Thu Jan 19 18:01:39 PST 2006

Precise language is needed here.

>  > Also, I'd like to change a Header format in one
>>  place and have it "update all" across the whole
>>  book, but that doesn't seem to work either :-(
>
>Now...that should work. but only within the file. When you make the
>change, are you clicking "Update All" To do it book wide, you have to
>copy that format to all of the other files in the book. Display the
>book, highlight all the files in the book, then import the format
>from the file in which you made the change.

If by "Header format" you mean a paragraph format, then importing
paragraph formats from the modified file to all other files in the
book will work.

However, if modifying a "Header format" means changing the layout of
a background text frame and/or background graphic, on a master page,
then you need to import master pages from the changed file to the
others. Master pages are called "Page Layouts" in the import formats
dialog box.

Be aware that any importing action replaces items in the receiving
files with the similarly-named incoming items. If identically-named
master pages, reference pages, and other formats in all your files
are not defined or formatted identically, then importing across a
book will replace your idiosyncratic items. It's a good idea to use
Shift+File from the book window to open all files in a book, then
save them all, before importing formats. The import isn't undo-able,
but you can use Shift+File to close all files in the book and choose
not to save them, then start over.

There has been a lot of discussion on this and other lists, about
best practices in defining and maintaining formats for single files
and books of files. Everybody has an opinion, though most fall into
one or the other of two main camps. Search for the past threads to
get a sense of history and perhaps some guidance in making your own
choice.

--
Regards,

Peter Gold