[fmforosx] Cross-platform font conundrum

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 08:15:33 PST 2006

At 4:01 pm +0000 23/1/06, Mark Barratt wrote:

>Paul Findon wrote:
>>
>>I've never experienced this first-hand because all the FrameMaker users I deal with around the world are on the Mac, but I understand that the fonts must be of the exact same type and from the exact same foundry, and even then there may be differences with extended characters. OpenType is supposed to eliminate this kind of cross-platform issue.
>
>You may have different versions of Frutiger, but it's unlikely. More likely is the problem I had when I used to use Frutiger on both platforms: naming policies....

Thanks Mark: this is all most useful, and has a horrible ring of truth.

>[stuff...]
>
>If you are doing this once-and-forever it may be best to go through all the styles on a Windows PC and issue new templates, because of the complexities of telling clients how to find and replace their fm.ini files. Depends on how many users you have.

Not many end users of this template: currently three. Yes, but the problem is that I don't have access to a PC FrameMaker installation.

Would not another valid cure by to tell them to uninstall their current Frutiger and replace it with a 'clean' font set from the same source as I got mine from? Cost is not an issue here really as the client will pay for new fonts, and Monotype only charge $22 a face for Frutger.
--
Steve