FM driving me crazy!

Ridder, Fred fred.ridder at intel.com
Wed Jan 25 12:04:44 PST 2006

FWIW, the technique I use and have disseminated to all the
other writers in my group is this:
- in the same directory as your book file, make a copy of each
  generated file template using the expected name (for example,
  booknameTOC.fm and booknameLOF.fm)
- use the book file's "Add" menu to add the generation details
  (tags to collect, etc.) for each type of generated file; when
  FrameMaker prompts you to update the book after adding
  each of these file, decline that option.
- when all generated files have been added, update the book

It saves the time it takes to do the initial update/generate pass,
which can be substantial for large books or documents that
have graphics pasted into them instead of referenced.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ