Variables

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 07:19:11 PST 2006

Sure, it's easy, but you need to "load" the variable once for for each
book. And you're trying to use a system variable, which is unlikely to
work and hard to do. User variables are  a snap.

With the master page open (I do this in my chapter template file, but
you can certainly do it in any working chapter instead), put the
cursor where you want the title to show up.

Select Special > Variable > Create Variable. The name I use is
DocTitle, but it doesn't matter; the Definition is the title of the
book. Click Add. Then Insert it in the footer.

Then use Import > Formats > Variables to import it into all chapters
of your book. Insert it again on your cover/title pages in the regular
text flow.

Next book, edit the definition in one file and Import it again; the
change will ripple through all the files.

Art